Sunday, March 29, 2009

Letting Go

Today my family and I went to a car dealership to begin the negotiation process for returning my Honda Odyssey. The lease is up in the middle of May and we plan to downsize in order to save money in both fuel and payments.

As I took a Rav 4 for a test drive, I was so very unimpressed. For the past 3 years, I have grown accustomed to a spacious interior, leather, heated seats, DVD for the kids, a third row so the kids don't have to sit next to each other if they don't want to. All these creature comforts that I will most likely forego in a smaller, less pricey vehicle. The idea of giving back these comforts in exchange for something less than made me so sad that I knew that when the day came, I would probably cry.

I am so very conflicted about how to proceed. On the one hand, I would most likely be leasing a brand new car, which is nice because, well, it's new. Or we could buy the car we currently have and be able to keep all those creature comforts for a while longer......and most likely be paying more as well.

But in my readings, I have read that while here on earth, in this physical body, we are merely temporary custodians for all the things we perceive to own......our house, cars and "toys". Therefore, it does little good to become attached to these things because it only creates inner conflict and "suffering". Instead, we should enjoy them while we can, but don't get attached, for the item will own you instead of the other way around.

I fear the discomfort of letting go because it's a change for what I perceive to be bad. Change is hard, especially when it involves a level of comfort that makes a person feel secure. That is what I am feeling now, insecure. I'm hoping that in the next few days I can overcome this fear and embrace the inevitable change that is in my near future.

Until next time......


Thanks for reading!!!!

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment